Clinton's Ditch Historic Lumber Series

That the Erie Canal radically re-shaped the nature of American trade is a fact no one could dispute. And yet, when DeWitt Clinton began construction July 4th, 1817, his opponents referred to his efforts as “Clinton’s Ditch”. To them, it was pure folly, thought to be impossible. Though his efforts – and the efforts of thousands and thousands of men and pack animals, and the equivalent to over $100,000,000 in funding, this “ditch” eventually linked the Great Lakes with the rest of the world. Many thousands of “packet boats” made the journey up the Hudson, to Albany, and from Albany to Buffalo, onward to Lake Ontario and sometimes as far as Minnesota.
With our Clinton’s Ditch Historic Lumber Series, we commemorate our history as a canal town and hub of industry, as well as the hundreds of men who laid their lives down in their heroic efforts to clear land and dig this brilliant corridor of water. For this line, we’ve selected lumber reclaimed from discarded buildings from the Erie Canal corridor dating back to the mid-19th century – likely consisting of timber that once stood in the path of the canal.